In deer season just around the corner, the Centers for Disease Control are warning hunters about tuberculosis.
Officials with the CDC issued the warning after studying that a person probably got tuberculosis after dressing a deer.
In May of 2017, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services realized of a case of pulmonary tuberculosis caused by the Mycobacterium bovis in a 77-year-old man.
Officials realized that though the affected person wasn’t around anyone with tuberculosis, he had usually hunted and field-dressed deer. Investigators realized that free-ranging deer within the area were generally infected with M. bovis.
Because of this, researchers have discovered a couple of other cases where an animal infected with tuberculosis spread the disease to people. However, they are saying it’s understudied.
Officials say the bacteria could be inhaled while the deer is field-dressed.
“To stop exposure to M. bovis and other diseases, hunters are inspired to make use of personal protecting gear while field-dressing deer,” the CDC says.